Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Interaction: Comfort Zone

For some reason, doing art is so different now, especially from commercial art. It's all about stepping outside my comfort zone. I am constantly afraid to put down things that can ruin what I have done thus far. My mind is bombarded with doubts and the fear of 'right' and 'wrong'. Learning to let go and let my imagination run wild, is one of the hardest mental block to overcome.

I recall when I improvise in music... it is when I forego the key signature, the chord construction, the familar rhythm, and the fear of making mistakes, that the most creative solos and chops came out from me. It is like being part of the essense of music...everything surrounding me disappears into the background; and yield to the music to carry me along like a river.

I am practicing that. Looking hard into the painting and see/hear what the canvas is suggesting me to do... my interaction.

Right now it is all hit or miss. Mostly miss. But I have to make these mistakes in order to open up new horizons. In the weeks to come, I will post some of my latest work. Hopefully, you will see some progression. Something more daring, more creative.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home