Wednesday, February 23, 2005

My Vision and Direction....

For the longest time, I have been trying to find subjects to paint about. 'Quartet Seasons' was just a jump start for me to begin painting subjects that are more non-Anime related (I have illustrated for a Japanese Manga Magazine years ago). I needed a direction and something that is real to me.

I've noticed that there aren't many Chinese contemporary painters (mostly sculpters). And those that are, usually have the subject matter relating to living within the political system of China. Since I don't have first hand experience on the subject, I can't really paint about that. I can only paint about things I have experienced personally...as a Hong Kong-born Chinese living in the Western World...as well as living in the times when traditional Chinese culture has to deal with the assimilation into the Global culture.


Will my Chinese tradition fade into a distant memory?

What do I see in my own culture that I want to discard or hold onto?

Has the sadness of the Chinese culture (悲) worked into my life?

These are just some of the questions I want to explore in my paintings. So, come and dive into my world...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home